The Student News Site of Island Trees High School

The Bulldog

The Bulldog

The Bulldog

A Preview into the Lady Dawgs’ Lax Season

A lacrosse insight with the 2023 season lead scorer: Kayla Tretola.

This March the Lady Dawgs Girls Lacrosse team looks to make a statement in their conference. Coming off their last season with an overall 5-11 record and conference record of 3-6, the Dawgs look to make a statement this season.

With new Head Coach Dunleavy we are aiming for his first season as a head coach to be a good one. Even though the record may not show it, the Lady Dawgs know how to battle! Two of the teams’ wins last year came from conference rivals in overtime. One to the Clarke Rams in a 5-4 win in triple overtime, and second to their final season game versus New Hyde Park with an overtime win of 8-7, sending off former Head Coach Rigo with a Win. 

We also have some key players coming back this year for the Lady Dawgs. Goalie Sophia Cutrone D2 Kutztown commit, and LILJ watchlist plans to continue her impressive save percentage and lead the county in saves this upcoming season. As well as Kayla Tretola who is also on the LILJ watchlist, ended last season with 58 goals for the Lady Dawgs. 

With the talent we have returning, the Lady Dawgs are extremely excited to get the season underway. We have already been getting prepared after school on Tuesdays. We are getting our sticks back in our hands and preparing for our first matchup at home on Tuesday, March 19 versus Bellmore. We look forward to starting this season with a win and continuing that throughout our season.